Medical School Administration handles the scheduling of certain meeting rooms, classrooms, lecture halls, and seminar rooms within the building. Please be respectful of our rooms and the building; the event organizer (group or entity booking the room) is accountable for any damage to the room(s) or equipment.
Please submit your room request via our AMS Reservation Request Form. If you receive approval to hold your event/meeting here, you will receive a confirmation email outlining the following information:
The medical school is classroom and study space for our medical students. We do not function as an event and conference center; as such, we do not provide event support beyond room scheduling. Use the policies & procedures checklist below to manage your event/meeting.
Policy and Procedures Checklist
Follow this policies and procedures checklist to manage your event/meeting. If you have additional questions please contact the appropriate departments noted below.
Coordination of Brown services for your event can be done through University Event & Conference Services / 863-3100.
At least 48 hours prior to the event/meeting, provide our Security Desk ([email protected]) with a full list of attendees and a contact name and cell phone number for the day of the event/meeting.
- The doors to the Alpert Medical School are unlocked on the Richmond Street side Monday through Friday from 8 am to 6 pm. There is a front-desk security presence Monday through Friday from 7:30 am to 11:30 pm.
- If this is a weekend / after-hours event involving a large number of non-Brown attendees, you will need to make arrangements for the front doors to be unlocked. All weekend events require you to arrange for a security presence. To do so, email the Event Manager, [email protected]. Make arrangements as soon as possible; last-minute requests cannot be accommodated. The requesting party is financially responsible for associated costs.
- Individuals can purchase parking Monday through Friday in the adjacent parking garage for $9 a day (hourly also available). Enter from Eddy Street. Garage closes at 7 pm on weekdays and all day on the weekends.
- Metered street parking is available.
- During normal business hours the Brown shuttle is always an option for staff and faculty with a Brown ID.
- Special parking arrangements for weekends and after 5 pm on weekdays can be made through BioMed Facilities; the requesting party is financially responsible for associated costs. Various parking options are available, depending upon volume and the timing of the event. Email Event Manager, [email protected]. Make arrangements as soon as possible; last-minute requests cannot be accommodated.
- Parking for hospital-based faculty who teach or have a significant administrative role at the medical school is available in Lot 30, located on the corner of Richmond and Elm. A hang tag is required. Approved faculty received an email with instructions.
- For further information: BioMed Facilities / 863-2483
- If you are providing food (e.g., small group providing catered boxed lunches, or large group serving hors d'oeuvres), contact Event & Conference Services to coordinate the various components: food, tables, trash/recycle, custodial cleanup, etc.
- The event organizer (group or entity booking the space) is responsible for managing the event with Event Services. Alpert Medical School staff are not responsible for tables, food, etc. that are dropped off for the event. Please try to be present to coordinate setup and breakdown of your event.
- Catering will not be able to use common spaces in the medical school for preparation, cart storage, etc. You will need a back-of-house catering room. Request this separately through the online room-scheduling form, and include a 2-hour window prior to the event/meeting start time.
- For further information: University Event & Conference Services / 863-3100 or Brown Dining Services / 863-2712
- Small personal groups serving food (e.g., bringing in pizza through Brown First vendors): Please be sure to clean up at the end of your event; medical school custodians are not responsible for cleanup above and beyond their normal duties. You are responsible for thorough cleanup; otherwise, you will incur custodial costs or lose privileges to use the facilities.
- Catered groups: Custodial services are to be included when scheduling a catered event. They provide event setup, event breakdown, and cleanup. The requesting party is financially responsible for associated costs. Arrangements are made through University Event & Conference Services.
- Larger outside groups (~ 20+ people) serving food but who are not going through Brown Catering (and Event & Conference Services): You still need to make arrangements for a custodial cleanup (as well as for a trash/recycle bin; our classrooms are not equipped for disposal of large quantities of food/beverages). This is done through the Department of Facilities Management. From their site, you will select "Event Request," log in with your Brown ID, and submit the "Request for New Event" form. The requesting party is financially responsible for associated costs.
- For further information: Event Support / 863-3100
- Contact University Event & Conference Services for any furniture needed that is not already in the reserved space. Do not move furniture from atrium/commons areas on your own; this needs to be coordinated through Event & Conference Services, and the requesting party is financially responsible for associated costs. Please try to be present to coordinate setup and breakdown of your event. Alpert Medical School staff are not responsible for tables etc. that are dropped off for the event.
- For further information: Event Support / 863-3100
- AV equipment needs to be shut down at the end of your event/meeting.
- If you need AV support for an event outside of business hours (on weekends or after 5 pm on weekdays), you can request an "IT Fellow" to assist you with your event by completing a request form at http://med.brown.edu/ITfellows.
- If this is a Brown event held during normal business hours and you would like AV training prior to the meeting/event, or you would like to arrange for support for the day of the event, contact Ron McKay at [email protected] at least 5 days in advance.
- For complex-multimedia events, please contact Media Services. The requesting party is financially responsible for associated costs.
Evening Facilities Support
The Division of Biology and Medicine staffs an Evening Facilities Coordinator to support the diverse and complex operations of the various divisional facilities; the position is staffed from 4 pm to 11 pm Monday through Friday. The Evening Facilities Coordinator's responsibilities include, but are not limited to, responding to any building operational issues, supporting evening programs, assisting with AV needs, and coordinating any specific security concerns that may arrive throughout the evening. The position is based at the BioMed Complex, supporting both the College Hill and Jewelry District Operations. To contact the Evening Facilities Coordinator, Mike Hodge, call his pager: 745-7122.
- Brown requires general liability insurance for non-university events (or those co-sponsored with an outside organization) held in our facilities. You need to provide a certificate of insurance naming Brown as additional insured, or purchase a general liability insurance policy.
- Please submit a copy of the completed certificate to [email protected].
- For further information: Office of Insurance and Risk / 863-9481
Permitted only if purchased and organized through Brown Catering
The Warren Alpert Medical School, 222 Richmond Street, Providence RI 02903
The medical school is classroom and study space for our medical students. We do not function as an event and conference center. As such, we do not provide event support beyond room scheduling. This checklist does not include all the information you need to create a successful event. Brown University provides wonderful Event and Conference Services. Departments that function outside the medical school are encouraged to purchase event management services through Event and Conference Services. They will work with you on all the additional details needed for that successful event.
We also ask that if your event is cancelled to please send an email to [email protected] as soon as possible so we can make the room available.